07 April, 2011

Lent: The Musical [Albums 26-30]




26. Citizen Cope "The Clarence Greenwood Recordings" ★1/2


There really isn't much I can say about this album other than it's very sleepy sounding. This collection of songs, while very easy to listen to, isn't very energetic other than what is probably the most well known song, "Bullet and a Target". Even though there's a general overall drowsy feeling of this record, I do actually dig it. I had expectations of something a bit more lively from a style of music that is related to, reggae. 


If I haven't conveyed clearly how "The Clarence Greenwood Recordings" sounds and feels, or you haven't heard anything by Citizen Cope before, just think of 311. Then think of 311 slowed down. Then think of 311 having slower songs played acoustically. Lastly, think of 311 making good music. And then you'll have a perfect picture of this album.


27. Gojira "The Way of All Flesh" 


I saw these guys open for Metallica a while back and I wasn't quite sure what I thought of them. So, I figured it was time to have a listen. I'm glad I did.


It's the perfect amount of heavy right from the start. These guys don't just play all brawn. There's plenty of brains behind the music, too. Yes, there is plenty of chug-chug-chugging, but harmonies, layers, and, what seems to be a theme on this record, string tap/release guitar playing. Rather than making several "Eruption" copies, Gojira made something new of tapping. Usually, string tapping is reserved for the lead part of the song. Gojira bases the melody of the song on tapping.


All this amazing talent doesn't stop at the guitarists. The drummer is aces-10. Joey Jordison of Slipknot and various side project fame is the last drummer I remember hearing of the same caliber as Mario Duplantier, Gorjira's drummer. He, Mario, is able to mimic the speed and sound of a machine gun. The speed part has been managed countless times and by countless drummers. But Duplantier replicates the sound of each round of ammunition entering and exiting the weapon, the sound of the hammer action, and the metallic clink of the ammo belt being disassembled as it's leaving the gun. This guy is just sick.


Aside from the grunty vox and the several minutes of silence found on the last track, this is a perfect record. I think I just found my new favorite band. And I don't even care that they're French.


28. Hole "Nobody's Daughter" 


I have a theory that this album's title wasn't just made up. It's easy to assume Courtney Love's parents deny actually being her parents. With that very clever quip said, let's get to judging.


Having zero expectations going into this album, I was happy to find that first two songs were pretty rockin'. Not everything took a dive after that, though the vocals did suffer a bit on "Honey". The song "Letter to God" is laughable. Love is singing her story of being ridiculed and always having the spotlight cast upon her and usually in a negative way. She whines a bit more about her trials and tribulations as if she's a modern day female Job. Courtney completely brought all this negative attention to herself. Just watch Comedy Central's roast of Pamela Anderson. Yeah, Courtney. Everybody is just picking on you for no reason.


There are a couple of acoustic songs on this album which seem to bring out the worst in Love's vocal skills. For some reason, an acoustic guitar triggers something in Courtney that causes her to sing out of pitch and very twangy and slurred. Dylan did this already and it didn't really work well for him.


Fun Fact: Without planning this at all, I just happened to listen to this album on the 17th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. (Should I have used quotation marks with 'death'?)


29. Black Flag "Damaged" 


Raw. Punk. Little production. Poor timing. Angry and funny (once). Shouty. For what it's worth, these guys definitely laid some groundwork for the entire genera of punk music.


30. Fucked Up "The Chemistry of Common Life" 


Having a band named Fucked Up lends itself to certain preconceived notions. Not necessarily good or bad preconceived notions, but it's easy to see how someone could assume what to expect from such a band. I am no different here.


I don't exactly know what I was expecting, but I can say that I wasn't expecting to start off the album by hearing a flute melody. My confusion didn't stop with that. Musically, the sound on this album is very indie rock. (Think: Modest Mouse, OK Go). Vocally, I would say it's closer to the shouty punk roots similar to Slayer only done so in more of a growl.


I can't explain exactly why I like this album so much. Having intricate songs with all sort of transitions and instruments is definitely a plus, while not having proper singing is usually a minus. But, for what ever reason, this dichotomous combination of music and vocals just seems to appeal to my ears. I know. Fucked up, huh?